By JanetBS1 on Friday, 05 February 2016
Posted in Beginners
Replies 8
Likes 0
Views 3.4K
Votes 0
Hello

A question from a motorhome newbie.

I have a friend who runs a pub in Bucks: no good for a motorhome stopover as she has virtually no car park, however, the lane which runs alongside the pub, is unrestricted and frankly that's where most of her customers park.

I would love to take the van up to visit her - if I park up on the lane and just sleep there, am I likely to get moved on anywhere? Rather not be woken in the middle of the night by the police or anyone else.

:dry:
Hi Janet

Well this is something we would do/have done. However, there is a whole can of worms here with regards to laws and legislation - being in charge of a vehicle while intoxicated, obstruction on the highway, to name but two!

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/5
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/waiting-and-parking-238-to-252

The problem would be that if you were asked to move on by the police and you were over the alcohol limit then you would be in a difficult situation.

All in all probably not recommended but I sure many of us have done this after we have weighed up the pros and cons.

I am sure other members will have something to contribute to this post

Spinner
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
We too would park up in such an environment if it was possible to be discreet enough - not annoying neighbours, blocking access etc.

Spinner raises a couple of good points there, as parking on a road as opposed to a pub carpark is different because a pub car park reverts to private land when the pub is shut as I understand it.

In reality if you were not causing a nuisance and the pub has a good relationship with its neighbours I think its unlikely you would be disturbed.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Spinner

Thanks for that: I can imagine that it would be hard to prove that you were not intending to drive whilst under the influence so to speak and as you say, you are in charge of a vehicle on the public highway. The obstruction isn't an issue as there is a sort of pulling off place which we parked in before, when we hired a van and called in overnight on the way home.

That van was shorter so we managed to get it on the forecourt at the end of the evening.

Thanks for taking the time to respond

Janet
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Neil

Thanks for responding - there are no houses along the lane in question: it's a bit of a rat run in the morning, but otherwise OK. I don't think her neighbours would even know;

I guess the only way to find out is to try it.

The plan would be to merely sleep in the van overnight so no wild parties, and if the blinds were already down then in reality no one would probably know.

Janet
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
I almost always park on tge public road.
No laws against parking a legal vehicle legally.
Never ever been knocked up or moved on and often had police drive by, stop and spend a few moments being nosey but they have never got out the car!

Drunk in charge is the issue, if you have the keys you can be done and I know someone who was done for it whilst sleeping in a car in a lay by next to a pub!

If you leave the keys with your friend it is obvious you have no intention of driving away and I wouldnt worry about it personally.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Janet,

From the info you have provided above, I can't see a problem, especially if parked in the cut in, ie, not causing an obstruction or creating a hazard.

With regards to DIC (Drunk In Charge), it really is down to the attending officer's discretion, however, if you made an entry to the MH via the habitation door, using the alarm fob, that is clearly "not an intent to drive" .
If you are knocked up in the early hours by the local Constabulary, opening the door to them (only when happy with identity) in your jim jams or nightie, once again, is clearly another indication of "no intent to drive"

Having your internal blinds already closed before going out for the night, will help to disperse any thought of intending to drive when you renter the MH via the habitation door..

Truck drivers on an overnight Truck Stop and surrounding roads, who may have had a couple or three beers, have to enter their sleeper cabs using a set of keys, and because there is "no intent to drive", they are not seen to be breaking the law. If you are required to move on for some reason, but decline to do so, as you are fully aware that you are unfit to drive due to alcohol excess, then you may get a parking fine instead.

That's my take on the subject, and as long as I was happy with my surroundings (personal safety), I wouldn't have a problem doing what you intend to do.

Perhaps one of our serving (or retired) Police officer members, can offer some advice.

Cheers for now,

Jock.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi there

Thanks for taking the time to reply - apologies for my late response - I can assure everyone that the sight of me in my pj's would be enough to convince anyone that I had no intention of being seen publicly such as behind the wheel.

J
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi there

Thanks for taking the time to reply - apologies for my late response - I can assure everyone that the sight of me in my pj's would be enough to convince anyone that I had no intention of being seen publicly such as behind the wheel.

J

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post