Thursday, 17 March 2016
  7 Replies
  4.2K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Hi all,
I was reading a friends motorhome magazine today and was reading an article about kayaks on the roof of a motorhome.
According to the 'expert' putting a 25kg kayak on the roof of your motorhome is a big no no because the roof will not be strong enough and even if you have a roof rack and ladder on the motorhome, these are only designed to be used infrequently and you should try to avoid using them when you can!
He also said you should keep washing of the motorhome roof to a minimum because of the 'stress' washing it puts on the roof.

I was very surprised to read this considering that I have 2 kayaks on the roof of mine and on my old Autotrail I carried a topper sailing dinghy weighing about 50kgs for 17 years, never had a problem.
Not to mention roof boxes.

I know there isn't much point to this ramble but do wonder how these people manage to become so called 'experts'.

Rolling on and enjoying life on the road

Rate this post:
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I do agree with that in general Spinner.
I think pre say year 2000 van do seem 'better' built before they started worrying about weight and cutting back to keep them under the 3500kgs

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I have a 1996 Autosleeper Symphony with a side-loading racking system. The roof is solid and the rack is supported on glued rails with a couple of self-tappers just in case! It takes a lot of weight with no problems - apart from my ability to lift heavy things!
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
View from above. Ready for the summer!
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Looks good. I used to have the trimaran version of the hobie kayak. :D

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.
× Progressive Web App | Add to Homescreen

To install this Web App in your iPhone/iPad press icon. Progressive Web App | Share Button And then Add to Home Screen.

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection