By Conal on Sunday, 25 January 2015
Posted in Beginners
Replies 4
Likes 0
Views 3.3K
Votes 0
Hi Guys,
I am new to the whole motor home thing but I am currently planning an around the world trip with my friend. We are looking for some help and tips as we are only starting to plan it now. Is there any sites out there that would have any information of people who has done this before.
We are unsure what kind of camper/motor home to buy so some help with that will also be appreciated. Would a converted transporter be too small for a journey this long?
Any help will be appreciated
Conal
Hi Conal and :welcome1:

Certainly have to admire your ambition!

Once you have decided approximate route and therefore countries that you may pass through, I would suggest that you read as many motorhome blogs as you can find by others who have been there before. You'll find loads of blogs in our Motorhome Bloggers section on here :thumbs: There are also some members' own blogs in the members area.

Type and size of van will depend on the facilities you can or can't do without. cooking, lounging, shower/toilet etc etc. I would recommend a trip to a dealer or two to look around and sit in some vehicles to imagine how they might or might not suit you.

I'm sure others will have some more ideas but hopefully that gives you something to help with your planning :huh:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
:thumbs: Hi guys.
I admire your train of thought and dream. Lets hope we will pick up your blogs if you set out whenever you do. As for type of wagon, I would go for a conversion on a stock vehicle like a landrover or something of that class. For access to spares should the need arise, plus the proven strength, added to which you would during such a venture, encounter some areas that do not have metaled roads and motor homes are a little heavy and dare I say soft when it comes to rougher roads, especially over the distances you have in mind. You can get some really decent ready to roll, ex expedition units if you throw the net wider. Having traveled in sixteen countries (not all in my motor home) size can be the deciding factor if you have to use ferries or places where trees can be a problem for high vehicles, as no doubt you will be going 'wild' at times. As Neil has said trawl through the site and sites. With such a project, do not be put off or slow asking questions you may feel are small and obvious. Lets hope the wheels do turn and you make it happen, lots of us have thought it but never tried. Good luck.
Kontiki645.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Ambitious plans, and it's certainly do-able. I did a bit of reading of blogs on this a few years ago, just found it interesting and like travelling, but have never envisaged going that far.

As far as I could see theb received wisdom of experienced travellers was

Mercedes=Benz vehicle - spares and service available everywhere - especially on older ones
Diesel engine and diesel heating - also available everyhere
Small overhang at the back/High angle of rear end (rear wheels to rear to lowest point at rear (to allow for the worst of roads)
4-wheel drive (ditto to point above.

Once you find one of the blogs more will be easy to find. You could start with the' Silk Road Motorcaravan Network'

http://www.xor.org.uk/silkroute/

Here's some photos of some overlanders I encountered in my travels
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hello :welcome1: and congratulations

Our longest trip that we have been on was one year and in that time we covered just half of Europe. When you have a big plan like yours you have the choice from either doing everything in a set time and end up just ticking of the places you have been or. seeing everything and not getting much farther than the garden gate (relatively speaking). It is easy to find yourself just skimming over places and by doing so you will miss so much. On the other hand it is also easy to get castled out, ruined out, or even beached out (I think).

Anyway my advice would be to keep the plan flexible and not book too much ahead, if anything. If your expectations are low then you will be pleased more times than disappointed, and don't forget motorhoming is about the journey not the destination!

Spinner
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post