By andygrisswell on Saturday, 19 March 2016
Replies 7
Likes 1
Views 3K
Votes 0
Hi all,
The wife and I are planning to winter in Spain (depart Jan 2017) i know it's early to start asking for advice but it's our first time wintering and I would assume there a lot to take onboard, any info would be greatly appreciated also anyone else traveling down there at the same time would like to team up.
First you have you have to get there so think about routes and weather. Snow is not uncommon on the plateau in the north though Spanish snow clearance is very good. If you have regular medication make sure you can get enough pills etc before you leave, some pills can be quite pricey if you run out. If you have pets make sure their passport is sorted out early and you understand the rules. Check your house insurance and make sure you have a sensible plan for dealing with mail, freezing pipes and other emergencies. Good neighbours are a great help
·
7 years ago
·
1 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi andy,one of the most popular ferry routes is to santander bilbao direct giving a shorter drive down to warmer climes..there are discount codes available I believe if you ask the right person.C&CC will give you a 10% on these routes so may be worth looking into.Can't afford that myself but we enjoy driving down via calais.Get a copy of campercontacts app on your phone/tablet to assist with finding a stopover enroute,As well as excellent sites on the clubmotorhome motorhome stopovers.
Also most prefer to get the acsi card and app to get some great out of season discounts.If you stay for long enough you may also get better rates withought acsi.We went down beginning of feb this year and found sites filled or filling up for march so maybe worth doing some homework and booking ahead.Bigger is not always better as the best site we found this time had approx 20 campers but all very friendly and eager to talk and share experiences,unlike a well known site in benicassim which is not called little britain for no good reason a lot of long termers seemed very clicky..Above all enjoy it is a great experience.
Not sure what we are doing but definately going down Aug-nov this year through france for a couple weeks and into spain possibly portugal.cheers Pete
·
7 years ago
·
1 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Pete,
Thanks for the info, will do a lot of research and get those apps you suggest.
Talk soon
Kindest regards
Andy
·
7 years ago
·
1 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Thanks for the info.
Kindest regards
Andy
·
7 years ago
·
1 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Andy
I guess you firsst choice is whether to get to Spain via Portsmouth- Santander or Bilbao or Dover /Calais. It can be a matter of cost and also preference for touring through France. Cheaper for us is using the tunnel with Tesco vouchers and enjoy the leisurely trip down the West Coast of France.. We have left UK in January and found Northern France very cold so be prepared with internal heating ie full gas bottles. We use aires from All the Aires, Vicarious Books which is loaded on our satnav both in France and Spain. However when in Spain for longer stops we use ACSI sites with card for reduced winter costs and the app on my iphone.

Barry
·
7 years ago
·
1 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Barry,
Thanks for the info, I will look into the apps and do some research into the route we intend to take.
Kindest regards
Andy
·
7 years ago
·
1 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi All
Just joined the club and picked up this topic as we too are thinking about Spain for January and February next year. We will probably go the Bilbao route but not having been to Spain before at this time of the year we have no idea where to start looking for an area that will give us sunshine and maybe some warmth. Once on site we prefer not to move the van to visit places and like to use our bikes or public transport. Appreciate that sites are very personal to each of us but I suppose we prefer "international" communities and would not necessarily be interested in site activities although a restaurant and pool would be good. Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance
Kaluah323
·
7 years ago
·
1 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post