By Barrie4 on Thursday, 13 March 2014
Posted in Beginners
Replies 4
Likes 0
Views 2.1K
Votes 0
I have just joined the club having come back to motor caravanning after 40 years and the AA seem to be saying they will not cover me because the 'van has an onboard gas tank.
Anyone able to confirm this and if true any companies which could be recommended would be useful, I particularly look forward to touring the north west highlands of Scotland and breakdown/recovery cover would be useful.
By 'the club', do you mean ClubMotorhome or the AA? It's worth remembering that the AA is no longer a Club, just a company run by venture capitalists set on making as much money as they can.

I have never heard of this issue before, but there are plenty of people who will cover you for breakdown much cheaper than the AA. I get mine with the insurance at about £90 for Europe-wide cover, with all the bells and whistles of home start etc.

Try googling a few, and see what you come up with; I have heard that Britannia do a good deal and there are plenty of others. What you choose will be influenced by whether you want UK only or all of Europe

Whoever you choose, do read the small print carefully - make sure they cover the size and weight of your motorhome being the most important. Some also some have a maximum towing distance/cost (if you need to get to a garage for repairs, but this is probably more of an issue abroad than in UK.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
PS - I see it's your first post - welcome to the Club!!!!
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Hi Barrie4 and :welcome1:

I haven't heard of that problem before. We have RAC cover through our insurers (Comfort) - gives 365 days European cover. We don't have a fixed gas tank though but I don't remember the question being asked....

There was a reply on our Twitter page to your forum post that recommended 'RAC Arrivals'

Hope this helps :thumbs:
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
We have had onboard LPG tanks for domestic use not the engine on our last four vans and never been asked if we had LPG tank. Really the bottles are tanks by any other name so I can only think that they fear the unknown for those vehicles who use LPG to fuel the engine.
·
7 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post