Wednesday, 23 November 2011
  1 Replies
  1.6K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Has anyone got informaton about touring Austria and Italy. Want to cover Saltzberg, Vienna, Venice and Pisa in about 2 weeks?
Rate this post:
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I can't tell you much about doing all that in two weeks, but I can tell you:

AUSTRIA
We were there a few weeks back; we had snow in September. If your there in winter (not sure of the exact dates), you must have winter tyres fitted.

Our van is over the 3500kg, but we were fine not using there motorways (to avoid the GO-box charges), simply by programming the sat-nav no to use motorways. You'd have to watch it though, as there are some 'expressways' included in the restricted roads, some of which are obvious when you look at a map. Of course, your schedule may require using the fast roads anyway.

Wild-camping is illegal in The Tyrol, and since we were seeing friends there we used campsites while in Austria.

ITALY

We haven't been to Venice but did visit Pisa some years ago in a car. Parking is pretty difficult and we found it difficult to locate the leaning tower, but we found it despite the signing rather than because of it. A lot of people worry about Italian drivers, but I think that so long as you do the usual 'defensive driving',there's no real problem; at least they are all awake! We did some wild-camping in northern Italy and had no problems.

Good luck with the trip - a good tip would be to travel the long distances there and back on Saturday and Sunday, as lorries are banned from the roads in Germany at the weekend
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.

Stay connected with us!

Follow steps to add our app icon to your Home Screen for an instant access.
1. Tap the Share (share) button at the bottom of your screen,
2. Scroll down the list of options, then tap the Add to Home Screen ( Add to Home screen ).

Enjoy seamless browsing and stay connected wherever you go!

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection