Monday, 09 January 2012
  6 Replies
  3.7K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
This is not meant to be a scaremongering thread but I have been following the tale of a motorhomer on another forum who recently had the misfortune to become victim to a (I thought) well publicised scam.

Now a picture may be worth a thousand words but I reckon a video is worth far more still. At my request for example videos on YouTube the motorhome robbery victim came up with the following clips -

[video width=560 height=315 type=youtube]ZGzStVTEyJ8[/video]

[video width=560 height=315 type=youtube]22hnukD1ADc[/video]

[video width=560 height=315 type=youtube]JuEkXambaTA[/video]

As said this is not meant to be scaremongering but actually seeing these robberies in action really does highlight the need to be aware of the problem.

Descriptions of these robberies tend to have a common theme. That is a car pulls alongside the victim and indicates that there is something wrong at the rear of their vehicle and suggests pulling over. Once on the hard shoulder the victims are distracted while another robber enters the other side of the vehicle and helps themselves to any valuables that are within reach.

Advice on what to do?

The main thing must be that you don't stop for anyone unless its a marked police vehicle.

I hope this gives an insight as to what to keep your eyes peeled for when travelling on your holidays and although the video clips are all from the AP-7 around Barcelona the warning applies for anywhere, not just Spain.

If it ain't broke..... Don't fix it!

Rate this post:
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Neil.

Thanks for the warning, we had this tried on us round the Madrid area. A car with what looked like Morrocans came alongside and told us to pull over, I just ignored them and Kath took a photo and showed them that she was using the phone. I kept an eye on them but they left the motorway at the next exit.

As you say it can happen anywhere, you don't need to be in Spain.

I could not believe the poster on the other forum who had all his money, passport, cards and driving license etc. in a pocket of a jacket thrown over the back of a chair in the van. Surely the best thing is to hide all the cards cash etc you do not need that day. If the poster had done this he would have still have had a bad time but not lost all his things and had to go back to the UK.

Sooty

ps Off to Spain again soon.
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.

ADVERT - Full Members don't see these - click our link below to hide them

Click here to join or upgrade to Full Member

We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.

Stay connected with us!

Follow steps to add our app icon to your Home Screen for an instant access.
1. Tap the Share (share) button at the bottom of your screen,
2. Scroll down the list of options, then tap the Add to Home Screen ( Add to Home screen ).

Enjoy seamless browsing and stay connected wherever you go!

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection