Corsica

Tuesday, 27 January 2015
  1 Replies
  1.4K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Hello

Memories of Corsica - If you are interested?

We toured Corsica in September 2008, I can’t believe it was that long ago, so some of the details might be a bit out of date. We caught the ferry from Nice to Bastia in the north of the island. It was a pretty big super ferry as the picture indicates, I have just checked and the current cost for an 8 metre van in September is around £400 return, the crossing takes about seven and half hours. Corsica is a mountainous island with seven peaks over 2000 metres and Monte Cinto at 2700 metres. The climate, therefore, can be Mediterranean at sea level and temperate with pine forests and deciduous broadleaved trees in the mountains. The driving is interesting? No exciting! with hairpin bends, new vistas and ravines around every bend. The mountain villages are small but the locals were quite willing to move a few cars, carts or whatever when we were negotiating two tag axle motorhomes through their streets. I remember their friendly waves on our way, especially if we brought some local produce; fresh figs, dried figs, fig jam, figs in syrup (fig is a speciality) from the roadside store. The symbiotic relationship between locals and motorhomers is one of the things that makes this way of traveling pleasurable. Sorry I digress!

The Corsicans were very hospitable and liked us Brits, something to do with us being islanders and our history with the French I think! There is a strong movement for separatism and maintaining their own culture. The towns are small and like many places at this latitude are steeped in history, particularly Corte. However as often is the case, the tourist towns, Ajaccio in particular, are much the same as most Mediterranean resorts, not unpleasant but predictable. That said, Bonifacio is a gem.

At the time we were there the beaches were empty during the week and only the locals at the weekend so if you are looking for empty sandy beaches those down the East coast are particularly attractive. Being a small island about 100miles long and 50 miles wide you may think you can blitz it in a week or so. However, the roads are slow which makes it perfect for a chill out travel experience. Open the windows, switch off the AC and absorb yourself in this wonderful island.

Now, I am not fanatical about trains but I do like to ride on some of the old narrow gauge lines that you find in Europe, especially when they take you high up into the mountains. We caught the train from Ajaccio to Corte and for some reason we decided to alight (what a lovely word, ‘alight’) at Poggio-Riventosa, I think we had picked up a walking map with a route that looked doable. Anyway as the train slowed down to the station the other passengers looked up in surprise that the train was stopping. As we alighted we realised why the station was abandoned and, as we found out, a long way from civilisation. Needless to say, we had a good four hour walk before discovering a small restaurant serving wild boar stew with mushrooms, a classic according to Rick Stein.

As you might expect prices were a bit higher than mainland Europe but not so much so that it hurt your pocket. Trying to find somewhere to wild camp with two large motorhomes wasn’t easy, especially in the mountains, so we mainly used campsites. Pitches were small and in the high season I could imagine that it would have been cheek by jowl especially on those beachside sites.

So to sum up, Corsica is a small mountainous island with sparsely populated friendly people, sandy beaches, craggy cliffs ancient forest and excellent walking. The food is good, wholesome and tasty, the scenery amazing. If this is your bag then you need to add it to your short list. Don’t spread the word too far though as this recommendation is for Club Motorhome members only!

Spinner :kiss:
PS. I have added a few piccies to give you a flavour of the place.

:D

Rate this post:
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thank you for this very comprehensive post.

It really does look as lovely as I remember.

Corsica is now firmly on the list - perhaps next year as this one seems to be getting filled with plans.........
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.

ADVERT - Full Members don't see these - click our link below to hide them

Click here to join or upgrade to Full Member

We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.

Stay connected with us!

Follow steps to add our app icon to your Home Screen for an instant access.
1. Tap the Share (share) button at the bottom of your screen,
2. Scroll down the list of options, then tap the Add to Home Screen ( Add to Home screen ).

Enjoy seamless browsing and stay connected wherever you go!

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection