Friday, 14 September 2012
  1 Replies
  3.5K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Hi to all
My navigator Pauline and I have just got back from a great holiday touring the edges of Germany from Trier, down a bit thenleft to Berchesgarten, up along the Cezh border then into Colditz, Dresden, Brandenburg, Magdeburg across to Graach( near Berns Kastel) then back home via Calais. 20 nights out and 2254 miles.
Brilliant only two days of wet stuff, then up as high as 36, thank goodness for awnings. The old girl, the motorhome of course not my nav, did well at 25.6mpg, at 3 ltrs a good return.
I reccomend the site at Graach, we have been there a few times. All hardstanding, alongside the Mosel and only 2clicks from the town which has some really great places to eat and watch the world slip by. The area around Berchesgarten is something else, I spent 17 yeras in Germany and have been into Bavaria countless times, but I never went across and into the corner. The people were as friendly as always to visitors with the exception of a member of staff at the site we stayed in who just about made his mouth open when asked a question. Here is a tale of woe I must pass on though to all. The site fees are high 33 euro's for 2 nights with power and plan your way into Berchesgarten and do not allow even snooper to get you in, as stupidly I got balked on the motorway and due to congestion I could not get over to get a ticket to go into Austria, I should have turned at an earlier exit. You guess what came next, pulled over and as we are 4257kg we had to pay a hefty fine '£171' for using 10 miles of Austrian motorway.
But hey ho, the moment passed and we enjoyed the rest of the trip.
If you should ever go across that way take care.
The visiting of Colditz was great and the area has fantastic views and os course the Csatle is well worth a walk roun, how the guys got out is amazing when you see the place.
Dresden was leaping we got there when the city had its annual feastival so there was lots to see and do.We stay at a Motgorhome dealers site 20 minutes outside of the city and used the tram system to travel about 7.5 euro's a day for a family of 4, all day untill 4am next morning. Brandenburg, and Magdeburg are in places almost as though the clock has been turned back to those sad years, but in themselves wonderful places to visit. Both sites we stayed at were on the waters edge and so close to the centre of the main city/town, In Magdeburg the Italian ice creams are double deckers and around 900 calories if you want to worry about such things. We loved them.
With eight weeks out this year we still have a few more little hops to do and we trust the same is for you all. If you can only go for a short while , may I sugest you head for the Mosel it is breathtaking in more than just the odd place along its banks.
May your wheels always turn and your journeys be safe.
Kontiki. :thumbs:
Rate this post:
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Ps It should read 66 euro's for two nights.
Kontiki
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.

Stay connected with us!

Follow steps to add our app icon to your Home Screen for an instant access.
1. Tap the Share (share) button at the bottom of your screen,
2. Scroll down the list of options, then tap the Add to Home Screen ( Add to Home screen ).

Enjoy seamless browsing and stay connected wherever you go!

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection