Wednesday, 19 September 2012
  4 Replies
  2K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Don`t Know if this has been covered before But.....
A-ROADS IN FRANCE
NOT COVERED,

When renewing your vehicle insurance, and that cheerful person on the other end of the phone, chirps in “and we can also include breakdown including EU cover”. Or when just going for EU breakdown cover for your trip. Possibly you will be told all the virtues of having a greater deal than others! And what the policy will do, but not what it won’t do! (Up to you to read the small print and never in plain English)
Recently after going on a comparison web site, for my classic motorhome insurance ,I got the above, when I chose 2gether insurance ,I asked all the right questions or so I thought,and as they do an agreed valuation for classic motorhome`s ,I, took out the policy including UK and EU breakdown.
At this point I will say I have driven extensively throughout the EU, and try to avoid the toll roads, as too costly, but using the free A roads to avoid major towns/cities.
So now I’m on my travels on a free section of the French A13 when, Bang! I had a blow-out on o/s/r, after picking up debris on the road. Out came the warning tri-angles; on went the yellow reflective jacket, and for an hour or so I struggled to try to get the jack under the jacking point, but then without room to manoeuvre, and being in a pretty dangerous spot, I finally gave in and called “2gether Breakdown assistance”, calling the number given for breakdowns in the EU .And when asked I gave my exact location “Girl asks, Is that abroad?” Yes in France “Oh I will someone to call you back” (phone number given)
Male calls me back, same questions and answers, and the told “you are not covered for breakdown on any French motorway network”. And by that they translate it as meaning any A-Road in France. I was then told pop along to the nearest S.O.S box and call for assistance. (why was I not told this when I took out the EU cover? And no, you can’t claim back the call-out charge,So finished talking to deaf-ears and “trekked” back to the SOS box ,”great chap doesn’t understand my pigeon French and switches me to an automatic “tick the box voice” “yes I have a puncture” “good stay with your car put the hazard light on and stand behind the barrier someone will be with you good bye” ! And that’s it gone.
Walk back to camper chap pulls up gives me lift (nice one monsieur) eventually guy pulls up in breakdown truck and out with the jack and after robbing me of 150 Euro`s (who said Dick Turpin was dead?) I’m on the way again three hours later.

The magic get out clause used:
GENERAL EXCLUSIONS
(12) Any charges incurred resulting from you breaking down in a location that rescuing the vehicle would be unlawful (including any legal restriction on recovering a vehicle from a European motorway)

This will be going on to the ombudsman so will post further at a later date.
Any feedback welcome.

The point of this though “Ask the question, are you covered on your EU Breakdown policy for French A-Roads?”
Some reading this will possibly have come across this before, but it was an expensive new one on me.
Apart from that had a great journey down through France and Spain, fantastic scenery, and a lovely camp site at the “Arc de Bera” near Tarragona,using the free Aires down and back at a leisurely pace, and averaging 35mpg..Roll on next trip ttfn :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: .
Rate this post:
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Yep my Vehicle insurance also with Aviva Via 2gether/ and Towergate and like yourself I believed that I was covered on any road in the UK and EU (being an Ex AA patrol and mechanic know what to ask for etc)In the UK as a patrol should a member breakdown in Some service areas we were not allowed to work on the vehicle in the service area.Similar to the french system maybe?
But after the event I had, and upon return, Goolgling Breakdowns on French Autoroutes it seem a common problem Both the AA and RAC do not cover you ON the A-R but if you get towed off to non A-R will cover you but who tows you off< http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/breakdown-service.htm>; and what if you ,like me cant be towed with a flat Tyre? Hopefully you have the right choice but I would still ask the question Bon journey :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: jr
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.

Stay connected with us!

Follow steps to add our app icon to your Home Screen for an instant access.
1. Tap the Share (share) button at the bottom of your screen,
2. Scroll down the list of options, then tap the Add to Home Screen ( Add to Home screen ).

Enjoy seamless browsing and stay connected wherever you go!

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection