Wednesday, 02 January 2013
  0 Replies
  1.7K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
I have finally sorted out the insurance cover for next year. I always look at the market to get the best deal AND one that meets my needs. Th problems I have had are:

1 My existing insurers rates leap from 10,000 mls/yr 'unlimited' with a corresponding leap in price [I reckon I'll need about 12,000 mls next year.

2 I discovered that my current insurer issues a 'net rate' policy, so you don't get a 'no claims discount statement' at renewal time, something I was ot aware of when I took out the policy.

3 Other insurers mostly want proof of 'no claims', so I had to contact my 2011 insurer to confirm what I had when I left them - to their credit, they provided this promptly and willingly on request, even though their quote this year was way off the mark.

4 I had to get a statement of 'claims free period' from my current insurer as well, which they would not give me until after the insurance period had actually expired {which, being 1st January meant i didn't get it till the day after (today).

5 I eventually found an insurer who would base my premium on a no-claims certificate up to 2 years old and also offered a very competitive price, so I paid for the insurance just before Christmas. Great!! I thought :blink:

6 When the documents arrived, delayed by the Christmas post, I was astonished to see that, while the insurance covered the whole of EU [at comprehensive, not 'minimum legal'], the breakdown insurance EXCLUDED all the EU islands (not a problem to me) and Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania - where I specifically intend to go next year!

7 I then spent New Year's Eve looking for alternative insurance, which I eventually found. So it was the afternoon before I could phone to cancel the other insurance, because they had the afternoon off [translated by the recorded voice as 'due to unforeseen circumstances'!]

8 I have finally today cancelled the insurance, subject to an admin charge because the period of insurance had already started. If it had gone beyond 14 days it would have been much more expensive to cancel.

So, the moral is never believe ANYTHING they tell you - "Europe-wide cover" in this case meant "It will do for most people, but not everyone". And if possible, get the FULL DOCUMENTATION AND READ IT before you pay any money.

I must say, in fairness that they do ask "do you want to go ahead on the basis of what we have discussed" and I said "yes"; and the insurers were fair, I thought, in only charging the set-up costs [the risk I took when I sid "yes"] and not the cancellation charge, which arose because the information they gave me was not correct.
Rate this post:
There are no replies made for this post yet.

ADVERT - Full Members don't see these - click our link below to hide them

Click here to join or upgrade to Full Member

We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.

Stay connected with us!

Follow steps to add our app icon to your Home Screen for an instant access.
1. Tap the Share (share) button at the bottom of your screen,
2. Scroll down the list of options, then tap the Add to Home Screen ( Add to Home screen ).

Enjoy seamless browsing and stay connected wherever you go!

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection