Monday, 21 October 2013
  3 Replies
  2K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Hi
Have just bought our first motor home, which a a left hand drive with uk plates. It has uk tax at the moment obviously. We are off to Italy and France for six months each in February and I have no idea what to do about the tax. Do we continue uk tax or get the vehicle registered in Italy and France and pay their tax? Do we have to register the vehicle there as we are going to be there for a little while? Any advice would be appreciated.
Also if anyone has any advice about good insurance that has unlimited European cover, that would be appreciated too.
Thanks
Rate this post:
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Denhams and :welcome3:

I'm assuming that you are UK residents and are just planning to be touring in France and Italy?

If so then you don't need to consider re-registering so long as you don't stay for more than 183 days in each - this is a rolling 183 day period in any 12 months. In practice many motorhomers spend this period and more in other countries without worry. If you don't have a residential address in those countries I think you'd struggle to re-register even if you wanted to.

As regards road tax, your vehicle needs to remain legal in its country of registration for the period of travel so the tax disc has to be current as does your MOT certificate. Road tax can be renewed online to your residential address and forwarded to you by a friend/relative by post (that's what we do).

As regards insurance, there are companies that offer 365 day European cover one of which being Comfort who we use.

Hope this helps :thumbs: .

If it ain't broke..... Don't fix it!

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.

Stay connected with us!

Follow steps to add our app icon to your Home Screen for an instant access.
1. Tap the Share (share) button at the bottom of your screen,
2. Scroll down the list of options, then tap the Add to Home Screen ( Add to Home screen ).

Enjoy seamless browsing and stay connected wherever you go!

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection