Sunday, 27 October 2013
  5 Replies
  1.2K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Hi everyone,

I am a solo motorhomer traveling the south coast with two West Highland Terriers and with the onslaught of winter soon approaching I thought wouldn’t it be nice to toddle down to Portugal and spend the cold months away, the one thing that stops me is the thought of being stranded with two dogs on board or if something happens to me ( medically ) what happens to my dogs, are there any solos or anyone out there who may have a backup plan for this situation or could recommend a choice of action, that’s excluding the obvious of “don’t take the dogs” or put them in kennels for the winter months replies.
Rate this post:
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
We had a problem with our dog cutting his leg while chasing rabbits in Honfleur a few years ago.
The Vet shaved the dogs leg to examine the wound, patched him up with an antiseptic dressing, gave him antibiotic tablets and a cream to apply next day and then another examination a couple of days later.
For all that time, attention and treatment I was charged much less than I normally pay for a yearly check up and Nobivac vaccination at our usual UK Vet.
From our experiences, and those of friends we have who live in France, you'll not feel as if you've been 'robbed' but will almost certainly think you've been fairly charged.
As for your dog being 'fit to travel', page 28 'Clinical Examination', it is not mandatory for the Vet to sign and date that section of the Pet Passport.
If the dog does become unwell during your holiday then you would presumably take them to see a Vet just as you would in the UK and give the dog the treatment that is recommended by the Vet.
Unless the Vet sees you dog to be suffering from Rabies or similar problems then they are unlikely to write anything detrimental - even if the dog looks unwell.
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.

ADVERT - Full Members don't see these - click our link below to hide them

Click here to join or upgrade to Full Member

We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.

Stay connected with us!

Follow steps to add our app icon to your Home Screen for an instant access.
1. Tap the Share (share) button at the bottom of your screen,
2. Scroll down the list of options, then tap the Add to Home Screen ( Add to Home screen ).

Enjoy seamless browsing and stay connected wherever you go!

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection