Friday, 25 April 2014
  7 Replies
  1.6K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Firstly - we've had a motorhome (Swift Firebrand) since 2007- when we sold up everything and went full timing. We toured Europe for 3 years and had an amazing experience.
We came back and bought a small house in Lancaster so we could carry on enjoying the motorhome and are presently in York in the rain!! A very familiar experience I must say.
I've only just found Club Motorhome and it's come at a very opportune moment.

I don't think its widely known that Bristol City Council have given notice to the Caravan Club to vacate the Baltic Wharf site. This is, to us, the perfect campsite, right on the river with a short walk or ferry ride in to this very interesting, historic and vibrant City.

The Council made the decision behind closed doors and the local traders have only just got to know about it. Bristol Ferries and SS Britannia particularly are very worried about the effect on their businesses.

So - if you agree with us please sign this petition and send it on to other forums you belong to and to friends who'll sign.

We have to get up to 3500 signatures before the council are required to open the discussion to the public. This morning we had 616 so we have a way to go yet.
http://epetitions.bristol.gov.uk/epetition_core/view/Campsite

Thanks. I'll now have a good look around Club Motorhome and enjoy it.

Steph and John
Rate this post:
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi all

Sorry for the silence, and for the length of this posting, but things have been happening.

• Our request, under the Freedom of Information Act (F.O.I.), for information about how the decision to close the campsite, and how the decision to use the land for a school was made, was refused. We went to the CEO of the Campaign for Freedom of Information (C.F.O.) and he gave us all the necessary ‘ammunition’ to refute their spurious reasons and an appeal has now gone in. If this is refused we’ll go to the Information Commissioners Office (like an ombudsman). If we have to do this it will take about six months to get a ruling; however the help we got from the C.F.O. is compelling and in other campaigns we’ve found it usually works. Really the council officials don’t understand the F.O.I. Act and just go to a default ‘secrecy’ mindset. Hopefully once we’ve explained it to them they might change their minds.
I won’t put it all on here but if anyone wants to read it all please PQ me with your email address and I’ll send it.
• The letter below is from the campaign organisers. We got enough signatures to ask the council to have an open debate on it. (If you remember the decision was made by the mayor on his own and even a lot of councillors didn’t know about it until it was published in the papers)The next meeting is 22nd July and it would be helpful if we all emailed or tweeted the Mayor to ask for it to be included

Hello Steph,

Here's the link to the Open Letter to the councillors on our website: http://savebristolcampsite.com/open-letter.php
I think one of the best things to do now would be to ask forum users to read the arguments and, if they wish, email the Mayor direct with their concerns. He's the person who will make the final decision. If he only came to visit the people and businesses that rely on the campsite users then he might not be so confident. A school bus would be a great way of transporting children to a site that actually needs re-development without compromising people's livelihoods and 30 years of having a great asset for Bristol - a win-win!

Here's his contact details:
Twitter @GeorgeFergusonx
Email https://www.bristol.gov.uk/form/mayor/contact-mayor

The lead Green Councillor on the issue (1 of 5) came to visit the campsite and the local businesses that would be impacted by closure. On Twitter he suggested that Mayor George Ferguson visit as it made him pause to think about his reaction.

If we can get the Mayor to allow us to organise a visit for him then that will be our best chance of saving the campsite.

Onward and upwards!!!

Matt

So – lets hope we can all work together and carry on using this lovely campsite for a long while yet.

Steph
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.

Stay connected with us!

Follow steps to add our app icon to your Home Screen for an instant access.
1. Tap the Share (share) button at the bottom of your screen,
2. Scroll down the list of options, then tap the Add to Home Screen ( Add to Home screen ).

Enjoy seamless browsing and stay connected wherever you go!

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection