Monday, 22 August 2016
  5 Replies
  3.1K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Hi
I am off to France in a couple of weeks for 6 weeks touring around the South of France. I have been caravanning for the last ten years but have just purchased my first motorhome. I have also bought the "All the Aires" book. Lots of info to take in. Is there an Aires etiquette? what are the do's and don'ts? Any tips, like, what time should you arrive so you get a space?
Any help would be gratefully accepted
Rate this post:
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Pirate Papy,

Aires etiquette? Yes and no, I would recommend that you observe what others do around you and do likewise :)

No camping, in that you're not supposed to put chairs etc out but see what others are doing.

Park with consideration so that you don't take up more than your space - in this instance don't follow the examples of others if they spread themselves out...

Arrival time, during busy times then early afternoon generally works for us. You'll frequently find late arrivals looking for space at 10pm or so.

Carry disinfectant wipes for water taps just in case someones been using it for cassette cleaning.

I'm sure others will have more advice for you.

You could also check all the Aires listed on Club Motorhome as many of them contain real feedback, photos and videos which all help with your planning.

Happy travels :)

If it ain't broke..... Don't fix it!

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Pirate Papy

At the time of year that you are going things shouldn't be to busy, However, best arrival time is often no later than 4pm for popular Aires.

As I am sure others may tell you camping activities, ie tables and chairs out, is not recommended/ tolerated, however this can very and there will probably be a few Dutch or Germans doing this whatever. The biggy is fill up with your own hose, as what often happens is the drinking water tap usually ends up in someones toilet cassette. If it is busy be prepared for some close neighbours.

I am sure others will chip in with some more.

Spinner

:D

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I would second what's been said the best advice is to see what others are doing, but as for table and chairs out, I have never had a problem up close to the van or on the grass behind the van etc.
If you are not used to the aires they can park quite close and at first that takes a bit of getting used to but once you have its fine.
I also recommend you think about putting the wind out awning a little way during the day if its hot, to keep some shade on the van, I usually leave mine out about 4ft and put a fold out chair by the leg, this keeps the van cooler and ensures a little bit of space by the door. Many others do the same.

I have also seen many French people with awnings, washing lines, etc, out.
Many aires have a max stay listed but I stayed in one that was a 48hr limit and the french neighbour had been there 5 days and said he was staying 2 weeks!

Officially it is best to look at the aires as parking and nothing more, but many use it as a bit more with no problems.

Some are checked every day by an 'attendant' and some you can stay days and not see any one, so as long as you pay for a ticket (if they are not free), you are fine.

I have found aires 15 or 20 minutes in from the coast are often free, on the coast they often charge, so we used in land ones for quick overnight spots en route to another destination.

I personaly think you need to take a water container, a can or a 15ltr bag like I have, many times I have filled the water tank with it to save moving to the tap! and water purification tablets, I put two in every tank full to be safe.
Also a full set of hose tap connections, including the push over types with the jubilee clip because the taps are all different.
I also slightly modified a clothes drying rack (that you usually hang out the window) to fit my bike rack, so we can dry clothes easily whilst leaving the van locked up whilst we are out and about.

Rolling on and enjoying life on the road

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Never found problem with putting out chairs and table as long as you consider needs of others. Like Tom1 suggests a wind out of about 4ft shelters the side of the van. I've got a 15ltre can with tap for drinking water so don't use main tank apart from showers etc. Also carry a 3 way mains splitter which comes in handy when on busy sites with elec- shared with German, Dutch and even French!! Have a habit of topping up both water when free and diesel when near hyper markets. Have a good trip
Barry
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
We use cookies
We use essential cookies to personalise your use of our website. Please click the OK button to agree and continue.

Stay connected with us!

Follow steps to add our app icon to your Home Screen for an instant access.
1. Tap the Share (share) button at the bottom of your screen,
2. Scroll down the list of options, then tap the Add to Home Screen ( Add to Home screen ).

Enjoy seamless browsing and stay connected wherever you go!

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection
Offline - No Internet Connection